The mission of the Waldo County Emergency Management Agency (EMA) is to plan and prepare for disasters and emergencies that could happen in Waldo County, coordinate with other government entities, coordinate county and municipal efforts for joint response to regional disasters and emergencies and to establish and manage an organized effort to quickly respond and recover from such disasters and emergencies.
County EMAs provide an invaluable link between the almost 500 cities and towns in Maine and the State. EMAs like Waldo County provide support and leadership in preparedness, response, recovery, and mitigation to their local, business and volunteer partners.
In Waldo, county emergency management is the managerial function charged with creating the framework within which the community reduces vulnerability to hazards and cope with disasters. Emergency management protects communities by coordinating and integrating all activities necessary to build, sustain, and improve the capability to mitigate against, prepare for, respond to, and recover from threatened or actual natural disasters, acts of terrorism, or other man-made disasters.
Emergency response in Waldo County is a multi-phase process and they work hard to ensure that they have resources that are always ready to respond. During emergencies, they need access to all the information available in order to respond effectively and after an incident they will write reports to evaluate their effectiveness. To support their mission, Waldo County EMA had been searching for an information management system that could assist them during all phases of an emergency.
The D4H Readiness & Response software suite was selected to be the information management system for the county EMA to cover the whole emergency response life cycle during three main phases:
● Waldo County is aware that the outcome of an incident, crisis, or emergency is determined by the capability of those who respond. Ensuring their staff are regularly trained and experienced with scheduled drills, is critical to incident outcomes. D4H Personnel & Training is the County EMA’s system for tracking the training, participation, and qualifications of all personnel. The system is used to ensure that personnel tasked for assignment are always ready to go.
● Centralizing all the counties available equipment ensures operational oversight when it comes to equipment readiness. D4H helps with organizing equipment repairs, expiry dates, service history, weights, values, calibrations, and inspections.
● D4H Incident Management is the County EOC’s common operating picture data management tool. The County Emergency Operations Center (EOC) staff, municipal EM directors, local hospital and County Regional Communications Center (RCC) all have access to this system to input, track and display disaster information.
● When so much is at risk, it’s critical to maintain a single source of truth. Resources located and requested at the County level are ordered by the Resource or Supply Manager are tracked in D4H Live Response.
● During any level of activation of the County EOC, the EOC Staff will utilize WebEOC and e-mail to transfer large amounts of data to and from the State EOC and other counties EOCs. The County EMA online portal D4H Live Response is used to easily create this local data with on the fly reporting.
● Once an event has ended, it’s a safe bet that the final protracted stages could involve litigation. Using D4H allows Waldo to prepare for this by automatically collecting a complete audit trail of every action, decision, and piece of information.
● Every functional or field exercise it critiqued afterward by the key personnel involved. D4H is used to develop an after action report and manage an ongoing corrective actions program.
● The evolution of our technology has allowed Waldo to capture, store, and analyze incident response data in a structured way. It’ll be just like having their own in-house statistician with single-click daily, monthly, and annual reporting, charts, and maps.
D4H Products used by Waldo County
D4H Personnel & Training: a highly proactive system to easily manage the administration of personnel, qualifications, training, attendance, and availability. It enables Waldo performance measurement and allows them to collaboratively engage personnel to reach the highest standard of professionalism.
D4H Equipment Management: a smart equipment and consumable readiness software for easy inventory administration. Waldo County ensures all of their equipment is ready-to-respond with accurate locations or assignment, proactive inspections, repairs, expiry dates, and service history logs.
D4H Incident Management: a smart real-time incident management software that enables your organization to coordinate an effective response to any situation. Easily create a common operating picture, communicate objectives, and collaborate on a resolution using forms, logs, maps, status boards, and more. The results are; better outcomes, more efficient responses, and less paperwork.
D4H Incident Reporting: powerful software that provides Waldo County profound insights into their operations. Thanks to this, they can access game-changing data to re-evaluate their responses, make better decisions, save costs, and evidence the real value of the charity.
D4H Readiness & Response software is a cloud software solution used by over 70,000 of emergency responders around the world to professionally manage their incidents, personnel, and equipment.
D4H supports over 15 million hours of response data every year from terrorist attacks to natural disasters, from maritime emergencies to chemical spills. Learn more.